Monday, October 29, 2012

5 things to do when you can't sleep

Sounds familiar? This is so me. It's 2.30 am now and I'm still wide awake. I think part of it is because my sleep's cycle is completely screwed and I slept too much; I woke up at 12 pm today, so technically I had only been awake for 14 and a half hours.

Below are 10 things I'll do when I can't sleep. Feel free to adopt any of the 'useful tips' below:

#1: Listen to music

If I'm desperately in need to sleep asap, I'll listen to some classical music- no offense but I think they're really soothing and can help me feel sleepy quickly. I love piano pieces a lot especially Yiruma's piano performances. Pieces like 'kiss the rain' is a perfect lullaby for me.

Alternatively, if I don't feel like sleeping as yet, I'll listen to some upbeat Kpop songs. I'm an avid kpop fan. I find the cheesy bubblegum pop lovely and even the soulful ballads appeal to me. I'm recently addicted to Shinee's newest Japanese single 'Dazzling girl'. It's been on replay for the past 2 days.

#2: Get work done

This happens only on rare occasions (aka last minute datelines), I'll be rushing out my homework/tutorials/ projects before the dateline/meeting the next day. It's strictly not advisable, but old habits do stick. I find myself weirdly productive from 10pm onwards until 4am the next day. I have very steep working curve during those hours and even if I'm rushing out stuffs, they 'flow' to me. Identifying your productive hours are necessary.

Mine just happens to be around these hours. Probably don't help with my insomnia. I could probably change them if I want to, but the inertia to change is just so great. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

#3: Read

This has to be my favourite! I'm a huge bookworm. My weekends are mostly spent holed up at home reading. I've spent this weekend of mine finishing 2 books, a book on past lives and another on the Myer-Briggs Personality indicator. I read a lot and spend a lot of money on books too. It's a great hobby of mine, and I'm really lucky to have my mum who's so supportive of my reading endeavours, paying for my books and all.

 And yes, reading do keep me more awake at night. It's not advisable to read before bed times as it'll probably keep you more awake (thinking and reflecting on the plots etc) but personally I find reading before I sleep something I'd like to do to 'conclude my day'. And I have this urge to finish a book in one sitting every time I hold onto it, especially if it's a page turner. That usually takes me at least two to three hours, and I end up sleeping late. Sigh. Yet, I'll still find reading worth sacrificing some of my sleep for.

#4: Eat

Cook, look around your kitchen for food etc. If I'm really hungry at night and can't sleep, sometimes it's due to the hunger keeping me awake. I'll get some drink (milk, don't drink tea/coffee, it makes it harder to sleep), and probably cook some instant noodles to eat too/have bread. With a full stomach, it's easier to sleep.

#5: Check facebook

Do some facebooks surfing and take comfort in knowing that you're not alone! There are bound to be night owls about (just check your online friends!). Start a chat, do some catching up with your online friends. And maybe after a while into the chat and the say 'gtg, I'm sleeping', you'll be peer-pressured to sleeping as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages